See below for all information pertaining to New Student Registration for Summer 2021.
Photo Grid Images
By the end of new student orientation and registration, students should:
- Understand the role of academic advisors
- Be familiar with their degree requirements
- Understand how to use Course Explorer to search for classes, recognize course restrictions, select course favorites, etc.
- Understand why they are registering for certain classes based on their placement and AP, IB, or other exams
- Be able to register for classes using the Enhanced Registration system
- Gain a familiarity with academic, personal, and professional resources on campus
Please complete the following orientation materials BEFORE your new student registration date! The orientation should take approximately 30-60 minutes (not including time for placement exams).
First, please watch the video below:
If you have not already done so, make sure you have completed all the steps below:
- Complete the Political Science Major Form (this is different than the LAS college homework form).
- Set up your NetID, email & password to enable you to register on your registration date.
- Take placement tests. Political science majors should prioritize the Language other than English and Math placement tests.
- Review the political science concentrations and course lists.
Next, watch the video below to learn more about navigating important registration websites:
Links related to video above:
- Course Explorer
- Registration Procedures
- Degree Audit Report - pertinent to Transfer students to see what degree requirements your transfer coursework fulfills
Finally, check your email!
One of our academic advisors, Clarissa Leman, will be sending you an email the a week before your registration date. You will also be receiving information from an advisor (either Joseph Hinchliffe, Clarissa Leman, or Jessica Tran) the week of your appointment with more specific details on the time of your appointment. Please do not make additional commitments the day of your appointment, as you may be scheduled to meet with an advisor anytime between 8am and 1pm (CST).
We will be utilizing Zoom for all registration appointments. An advising hold will be placed on your account until your scheduled meeting, where your advisor will assist you in registering for classes.
LAS College Orientation Webpage: https://las.illinois.edu/orientation
Check out this short presentation about opportunities to participate in internships, research, study abroad and more:
- Check out our alumni spotlights to learn about the many career paths and success stories of our alumni!
- Explore at least one Registered Student Organization (RSO) that fits your interests, skills, and passions!
- View a comprehensive list of all student resources here and check out what all the various student services have to offer.
- Pre-law students: Learn more about our Pre-Law Advising and Resources on campus.
- Get a head start on your Political Science New Student To-Do list to help prepare you for a successful first semester at Illinois.
- Familiarize yourself with the campus-wide Fall 2021 Academic Calendar.
- Contribute to our Summer 2021 Social Media Campaign: print out our Political Science frame, write down what about college you are looking forward to most, and share the photo on your social media feeds. Don't forget to tag us (@PolSciIllinois) for a chance to be featured on our page!